Sunday, January 23, 2005

Can 'O Beans

Ok, I've been flirting for the past week with lovely accessories, but now I am back to my committed relationship with this sweater. I have to admit, I have issues with the name of this sweater, Mariah.

When I was growing up, my dad used to watch this old Clint Eastwood musical, "Paint Your Wagon". Over, and over, and over. That was before we had a VCR, before there were more than four channels, so, I swear, it must have been on TV every freakin weekend.

Anyway, there is a song in the movie "They called the wind Mariah". This is the only time I have heard the name, Mariah, so of course, I am knitting the sweater, and constantly hearkening back to the movie. The problem comes in, with the ubiquitous rousing, catchy song (ala "Surrey with the Fringe on Top"). In this case, it was "Hand me Down Dat Can O Beans", and goes something like this:

Hand me down dat can o beans
Hand me down dat can o beans
Hand me down dat can o beans,
I'm throwing it away....

Out da window go dem beans,
Out da window go dem beans....

And so forth.

So I'm knitting Mariah,
I'm thinking about the movie,
I'm humming the song.

For several hours.


So here is progress made on the body of the sweater. About 6 inches or so. Mariah is posing with aforementioned sock-in-progress. Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

Blogger jpsam said...

What a gorgeous color! I can't wait to see it finished.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home