Friday, April 15, 2005

Big, Quilty, Week

Occasionally some quilters stop by and leave comments on my blog and I always appreciate that, even though I rarely post about quilting. Here is a detail shot of the quilt currently on my design wall, to prove I am still a quilter. I have a solo show coming up this summer at Minnetrista Cultural Center in Muncie, Indiana (the town where I grew up) and I am working to get this quilt finished in time to hang in that show.



This has been a big week for quilting in Chicagoland. We start with the big quilt festival in Rosemont last weekend, which I wasn't able to attend this year due to too much going on with the family. But fellow bloggers Melody and Cathy have a few things to say about it on their blogs. On Monday, German quilter and friend (that I had never met in person) Annedore and her husband Michael took the train from Chicago (they had come for the quilt festival) out my direction to see the Keiko and Friends exhibit at the Fine Line. Anndeore had a quilt in the show. I picked them up and took them to the exhibit and then to my house for more quilts. Here they are in my studio:


I love meeting people from around the world and learning about our similarities and differences! What a huge treat it was to meet Annedore and Michael.

Then, later that same day, a wonderful friend from much to far away, Cathy of the funny blog, came to visit me. This is what Cathy does when she comes to my house:


She organizes my life. She takes meaningless piles of stuff and makes it beautiful. Doesn't this just make you want to sew a quilt?!

Cathy organized my life on Monday night, and Tuesday we drove up to Wisconsin for the PAQA retreat and class with Japanese quilter Keiko Goke at the Sienna Center in Racine. We sewed, saw friends from far and near, ate, knitted, and had a rockin' good time.



Here are Melody and Frieda "taking a break" from quilting, to knit. Hmmm, I think they took a very, very, VERY long break.


Here is Cathy showing-and-telling her quilt.


Here I am showing-and-telling a recent quilt.


After the evening show and tell, we got raucous with song. Here are Laura, Pat and Amy leading us in song.

Are you here for knitting content? Behold!


My trusty travel knitting, the Sitcom Chic, which has journeyed through several states in the past few weeks, is almost done. I bound off the neck the day after the quilt retreat. Then I noticed something.
.

What the bleepity-bleep is this?!?!?!

I fear that I zigged when I should have zagged, or knit when I should have purled. Looking at the bound off edge and all those SSK decreases that I was going to have to run down, I gave it the old "galloping horse test". You know, the "If a person rode by you on a galloping horse, would they notice the mistake?" I'm afraid that the rider on the galloping horse took a look at my sweater, stopped dead in his tracks, and said, "What the bleepity-bleep is that?! Woman, were you trying to knit while singing raucous songs with a bunch of drunken quilters?! Fix that at once!"

So there you have it.



To Be Continued.......
Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Ooh, good luck with picking up those stitches! I hate it when I notice mistakes at the end like that.
Your quilt is gorgeous. I wish I lived closer so that I could go to your show in Indiana.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

Fixing that stitch? Wow. You are brave, so brave. I think my version of that galloping horse test would have gone "If a person rode by on a galloping horse, and you shot his eyes out with your six-gun...would he be able to see your mistake?"

The quilt looks amazing. It reminds me of Joyful Noise with the way you rendered the petals and the three-dimensionality of the flower.

Shout out to Mrs. Mel and Frieda! Taking a break indeed!

4:32 PM  
Blogger not veronica said...

WOW, I love the quilt you're working on ... that's the kind of work that makes me want to pick up quilting again, until I give my head a shake and remind myself that I don't have time for another craft obsession.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home