Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Survivor Contest!

Here it is, ladies and gentleman:

The Survivor Contest!

Years ago, I was invited to be in a Survivor fantasy league by a friend's husband. Part of me can't believe I'm admitting this publicly, but I hold nothing back from you, my knit-buds. So anyway, it was really fun, you just had to guess who was going to be voted off every week, and at the end of the series, I had the most correct guesses, and I won. By a lot. The next season, he made a big deal about challenging me, and I won again. I wasn't invited back the following season.

Anyway, that friend's husband is no longer in the picture, but I do miss the Survivor Challenge. So I bring it here, and I combine it with knitting, and most importantly, I offer valuable yarn prize(s) at the end!

It's very simple. Just tell me in the comments 2 things. 1/What you will be knitting, and 2/ Who you think will get voted off.

You can tell me in the comments to this or any post prior to Thursday night's viewing. I will keep track of the guesses in a very scientific way, utilizing scrap paper and post-its. At the end of the season, very valuable yarn (I haven't decided yet, but it will probably be something starting with a "K") will be awarded to the person who has the most correct guesses.

Need not be present to win!

Although I might be guessing, I will not award the yarn to myself or anyone residing in my household!

Friends and neighbors welcome, spread the word, and be sure to leave guesses!

If you don't watch Survivor, you are welcome to leave a comment as to what you are knitting anyway, and you just might win something too!

If you don't watch Survivor, feel free to guess who get fired, or make a comment on the Donald's hair!

So, what will I be knitting? It's time to update the ole sidebar, and present you with a current Parade of Projects.

Category 1: Things that are finished but need to be "fixed".
Here's the old Goa sweater free pattern from Rebecca online. Kind of snuck that up on you, didn't I? It went so fast, once I committed to it, that I never got to blog about it. It is finished (Ignore those dangling ends) but it doesn't look good on me. The neck is weird. I may cut the front and make it into a cardigan. Definitly not TV knitting.


A re-visit with the finished VK bolero. You can see more at my August 9th post. I wore it to Stitches and decided that it definitly needs 3/4 sleeves. Probably not a TV project either, but I need to get busy with this, because Iwould love to wear it.


Next up, Koigu lace scarf. Definitly NOT good for TV knitting, or as Melody says "after one glass of wine." Yeah right, Melody, "one." Here it is half blocked and half un-blocked. (Jan, this picture is for you.) I got curious after about 8 inches and blocked it while on the needles.


Of course, sock mates make for good mindless knitting, but not necessarily interesting blogging.


Then there's the Teva Durham turtleneck shrug from Scarf Style, out of Misti Alpaca. I have one sleeve done. It really is hard to photograph a dark, long, skinny tube of ribbing, but I did my artful best.


More candidates. The dark swatch is Soho Tweed for the cabled coat in the picture, "Willow" from Rowan's A Yorkshire Fable. The periwinkle swatch is Rowan Cork for Kathy and Moll from The Cork Collection. The pink Cotton Ease is for the sweater on the cover of 1000 Sweaters. All of these are top contenders, once I cast on and get past the first repeats. I am really dying to get a good meaty sweater back on the needles.


And last but not least, my best option, but its a secret present. I know some of you can guess what this is: mindless knitting, 3 skeins Cascade 220 with 1 skein contrast.

In summary: my knitting will be the purple and blue mystery item, and my guess will be the guy who got the thorn in his shoulder and threw up on the first episode.

Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily I will be in your contest - first I have to watch last weeks episode and will let you know my guess - I will be knitting socks

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Jodee beat me! I don't watch Survivor- Hate The Donald's hair and I will be knitting my Habu bag in denim!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Do you want to join my fantasy league, Emily? Did I tell you I go to school with an ex-Survivor? I will be knitting a wrap with Lion Brand Colorwaves. I think Brian will be voted off. (But maybe Blake?)

5:18 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I was hoping the "Survivor contest" would be code for something not related to Survivor! LOL. I don't watch the show.

I'm working on Mia from the Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora Collection for my tv knitting. And Marianne from Rowan 37 and Amble from the Six Sox Knitalong which I can't work on while watching tv.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I think that Blake will be voted off Nakum
If YAXHA Tribe goes to council then Amy will be off. There's a few others I can't stand on there so hopefully they'll be leaving in the first weeks. Still knitting socks.

10:01 PM  
Blogger blackbird said...

Hi Emily!

As the official Survivor update blogger (okay, well, a couple of hundred people read my weekly Survivor posts) I stopped by to applaud you!
(applause)This sounds like so much fun!
and I do knit, but I also take copious notes during the show -- so you gals are on your own I am afraid.
I will stop by to see how you are all doing.
Almost can't wait till the end of the season to see your FO's (see! I know some knit blog slang too).

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daaang!
I don't knit or watch survivor but am thinkin' maybe I should start one or the other!(OK I did KNit a sweater back in the 80's...)But that was a previous life and I've slept since then....a LOT!Would like to start up something simple...socks?????Can anybody suggest a great starter book with lots of visual and pics?( Think teaching a kid to knit!)Thanx!!p.s.Donald so needs to borrow some of Elton John's removeable do's.....

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home