Thursday, September 29, 2005

Week in Review

So, Saturday morning, I had a little crisis. I was on my way to the grocery store, anticipating a week long stream of visitors coming to wish a little certain someone a happy fourth birthday. And I really do love having relatives visit, but it is understandable that it is a little stressful. So, facing the cooking of a big birthday meal, the making of a “pony cake” (which I had no clue what I was going to do, and I hate ponies anyway) and the arrival of several people and 2 big dogs, I had myself a little pity party. I have lost my creativity, I haven’t had a quilt on my wall for four months, I’ll never make a quilt again, I’ll never be an artist, I hate knitting, what’s this knitting anyway, it’s not creative, I have no creativity....blah blah blah.

Fortunately, I’ve been through this enough times that I can usually talk myself out of it fairly easily (after a good cry). And my favorite place to cry is the grocery store parking lot. So by the time I was on my way home, I was refreshed, recharged, and ready to do my creative best to make the best d*mn pony cake any four year old has ever seen.


And yes, I used a whole bottle of freakin sprinkles.

Subject: stress. Next up: my house*.


We have lived in this house (the house of my dreams, mostly) for eight years. We have never liked the color, (Benjamin Moore #352, “dried blood”) (yes I made that up.) The dark red color is charming, in its own way, but it is just not us. We have wanted to change it for eight years, but haven’t been able to justify the expense, when it didn’t really need it. Now we are changing it, to what I have always wanted. Pale yellow. The palest yellow you can get while still having it look yellow.

So my painter guy, Erik, started on Monday. Now it is transformed from an ugly red house to a freaky albino house.



Even part of it is half red, half freaky white. Yea! And if it keeps raining, it will look this special for a long time.



Garage sale! House painting! I will take full credit for the ending of the drought in Illinois!

And yes, there is knitting content! I have been busy stressing out, but I have not forgotten about our Survivor Contest. Tonight I will be knitting on the never-ending French Market Bag. And who will be voted off? My guess is that Stephanie is not long for this show.


Don’t forget to leave your guesses: tell me what you are knitting and who you think will be voted off. No one guessed correctly last week so the field is still wide open.

*The person acting dorky in the window is a stranger who broke in. I most certainly do not know him. Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger Earl3d said...

I think Amy will go next.

OTN: Koigu Sock, about to kitchener.

Great Pony cake!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, is that the pale yellow or white primer?

I still do not watch Survivor, but have finished and have been using the Habu bag! Off to a class with Lucy Neatby this weekend! Knitting or trying to knit breast cancer socks out of HOT pink fleece artist sock yarn! Like it sure would like a skein in purple or blue!!!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sticking with Blake this week, though I will be scouting tonight for someone equally annoying to consider for next week, even if he's still around then. Variety is the spice of life.
Still plugging away on the Christmas gift shawl. (Hey, where's Mrs. Mel? Isn't she playing?)
BTW, that's the nicest pony cake I've seen in a long time.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for Lydia leaving tonight-unfortunely I will not be home to watch & knit but will Tivo and knit on my shadow shawl when I get home. Funny I've never seen the pity party in the grocery parking lot! Seems that's where we run into each other.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Tommy said...

I am lost on Survivor, but I do want the yarn prize. I wanted to tear up with the "parking lot" cry. It brings back memories of the fun and fear of parenthood. What seems insurmountable one minute is quite all right the next!! Great cake!!!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Frieda Anderson said...

Dearest Emily,
I believe it is the best d-mn pony cake I have ever seen and Ethan I am sure loved it and all the attention.I hope you took tons of pictures. Treasure these years, they will be gone in a flash. missing you.
Frieda

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I read your blog once in a while because A)I *love* your quilts and
B)I saw the link on Melody's site.

Where would we be without the grocery store parking lot?(or the bathtub, my personal favorite.)

Your pony cake turned out great!
Jen

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey--you had a pity party and you didn't invite me? I'm cooking for 12 for the Jewish holidays, and I remembered that I'm not even Jewish (and my matza balls show it)! The French Market Bag DOES end. You ARE creative. Sometime creativity is lying fallow, waiting to bubble up. The dream house is looking GOOD. xoxo Kay
P.S. 'Dried Blood' IS a Rowan color. Well, 'Blood'. For real! I think they also have 'Marrow' and 'Sludge'.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home