Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Girls Day Out

I am lucky to have a fantastic Creative Arts Center nearby. The Fine Line Creative Arts Center was started 25 years ago by some wonderful and inspired nuns. They have classes in fibers (knitting, quilting, dyeing, baskets), pottery (sigh, someday), jewelry and painting, among other things. (This is the place we rented out to do our dye day back in February.) They also have a small but very nice yarn (whoo!) store.

Every year they have a wearable art fashion show fundraiser, Uncommon Threads. It's at a fancy hotel in Oak Brook, with a luncheon, a runway show, and a boutique of accessories. My sister has been a juried artist in the boutique for the past three years, and this year the three of us (my sister Allison, my mom, and me) went, for a very special girls day out.

Here is Allison, at the boutique, standing behind her hats.


Close-up of the hats.


I ran into another friend that I had met a few years ago at the Fine Line when we both worked the holiday show. Here she is, standing in front of her beautiful felted scarves, bags, (and she also had knitted-wire-jewelry in the show). Laura has a full time job, does this artistry on the side, and is even president of the Windy City Knitting Guild, Wow! Go see her great website.


Here is my mom, standing in the big (400 audience members big) ballroom. Mom is wearing a quilted jacket I made her, and one of Allison's hats. Awwwww.



And of course, the day would not be complete without a group shot!


Tomorrow, the shawl!
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at those beautious hats! Oh, those are my hats! Don't we all look chic. The show was fun and to have my first repeat customer! We missed Laura this year. Emily, you will have to fill her in on EVERYTHING.
Love,
girl

4:06 PM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

Look at the fabulous ladies of Parson!

I'm so proud of all of them!

Hooray!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

You must be somewhere near St. Charles. I'm just north of Rockford. Fine Line is on my list of "must sees".

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home