Thursday, January 05, 2006

List City

I love lists!

I love making them, I love crossing things off. I even love reading other peoples'. (The very best, is finding an old list from years ago in a long-forgotten notebook, and seeing what I was doing at that random time. It's like a mini time capsule!)

So, of course I love the first week in January. All of blogland is list city.

I have spent this week working on a few random sock mates and figuring out where I was with old projects, pre-Christmas Knitting. I've updated my sidebar with what I finished in '05, and what I am contemplating for '06.

And here it is: My Best and Worst of '05

Most Favorite Thing to Knit:
Hands down, the Garden Party Shawl from Two Old Bags, in Silky Wool. Read all about it in October. The pattern, lots and lots of garter punctuated with interesting eyelet rows, and the yarn, the most addicting yarn I've used. Silky Wool. It looks like mush in those skeins, a little more interesting wound into a ball, but the fabric it makes is fantastic. Cool, warm, and light. Will there be more Silky Wool in "06? That would be a YES.


Most Favorite FO to Wear?

Rebecca Cabled Sweater in Rowan Cork. Cozy. Love this sweater. It's pilling a little, probably because I wear it every other day. See more photos back in February.

(Runners up were: Willow, A Good Bias, and the Garden Party Shawl.)

New Techniques Learned:
Tubular cast on (Tiger hat), slip stitch for seaming (Willow) and lace, in general (IK lace wrap, A Good Bias shrug, and Koigu scarf).

Most Valuable Lesson Learned:
Cotton sags and stretches. My Hourglass came out huge, my Good Bias 3/4 length sleeves are now long sleeves, and my Sitcom Chic grew in length a couple of inches (I gave it away to a friend.) Now, to compensate, I'm knitting Cotton Ease at a tighter gauge, and will now knit a smaller size that I think I should, when using cotton.

Number of socks knitted: 27

Number of socks that are still singles, waiting on mates: 4

Least Favorite to Wear:
I'm sorry to say it. Mariah. It's just not flattering on me. 5" of cable and rib around my post-baby stomach (how long am I allowed to call it that?!) Not pretty. The sleeves are so gorgeous, I would love to figure out how to save this sweater.


Projects that Died in '05: The Chevron Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, the Teva Durham Turtleneck Shrug from Scarf Style.

To Be Revived: Hush, from Rowan's The Calmer Collection.

Worst Thing Ever Knitted: Bad Kitty.
This was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my daughter. It wasn't finished, and what with the bike assembly on Christmas Eve, I just gave up. I did finish it up later, Christmas night, after the big meal and most of the guests had gone home.


I think, at that point, I was so tired I didn't care. Or maybe it was just one too many of Great Aunt Janet's famous lime daquris. Anyway, I was embroidering that face, hating it, knowing I should wait until I was fresh, not caring, keeping going. See?

My sister named it something like "Ugly Demonic Pig Baby" but I have since shortened that down to "Bad Kitty".

And in compiling my list, I discovered the handful of things that I never showed on the blog: Willow, Molly by Debbie Bliss, Tiger hat, IK lace shawl, Verdant bag, and footlets. Will tie up loose ends in the upcoming weeks.

Happy New Year!
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Are you SURE that sweater doesn't look good on you? It looks gorgeous on you in the little snippet of a photo you posted. Just the right color, too.

7:21 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

You KNOW I want the pink kitty! I heart it muchly and think it is adorable.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't say such cruel things about such a sweet kitty!

As for the rest, I'm blown away -- everything you made looks great, including Mariah. I'd be willing to bet that you look far better in it than you're giving yourself credit for!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Anna Lear said...

great stuff -- you're so dang talented!!! I even love the demonic pink kitty -- it's got character! ;-)

5:46 PM  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

I always like to check and see what you've made. My bedroom was a mess on Christmas Eve so I REALLY appreciated your shot of the Pile of Stuff. : )
Your mom's sweater looks great, and the kitty has personality. It's a keeper!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

I just want to act as an eyewitness that the Ugly Demonic Pig Baby has used its demonic powers to trick the camera. You darn near have to avert your eyes when you see the thing.

I think we've seen new secret, dark powers emerge from Aunt Janet's lime daquiri recipe.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home