Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Ok, People, You Decide!

New Project Try-outs, Take II

I have been meaning to say thank you for all your comments recently, especially your sympathy for my tendonitis flare up. I have been resting, using my brace and heating pad, and am getting much better.

I also wanted to say hello! to all the new people who have commented recently. I love to hear from new people! I try to reply to a lot of my comments, but it goes in waves, depending on how busy life is, and I have a lot of comments that I haven't replied to recently. I'll keep trying. Meantime, thank you.

Here is my slow knitting progress for the past week:

Semi-finished green baby sweater is blocking. It still needs buttons and pink embroidery to match the dress I want it to go with.

I have a feeling it's a dog. But, it will look better with the embroidery.


I am sure it will be too big. Which is ok for a baby sweater, she will wear it someday. But probably not with the dress I intended it to go with. See how much bigger it is than her current sweater!

I also finished the second sock of a pair of Lorna's Laces. I love the colors (Mixed Berries, I think)

But the patterning is a little too weird for me. I especially don't like the barber-pole striping on the leg. This was my first use of this yarn (except for some child's socks) and I probably won't use it again.


So, ready for a new project. Something to work on between now, and the Olympics. The Debbie Bliss raglan and Cafe Bastille that I started two weeks ago, are going to have to wait, because of the cotton of the first, and the bulkiness of the second, are both hard on my hands. I need a kinder, gentler project.

Maybe something I could finish in a few weeks? A Shawl?

Here is where you come in! To thank you for reading and commenting, I would like to knit what you readers decide. OK, I will attempt to knit what you decide. I can't take responsiblity for a disgruntled yarn or pattern, and reserve the right to stop any project that isn't behaving.

Project 1. Charlotte's Web.


Project 2. Ene's shawl in Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud, color "Stream". (This one may be a little complicated to be my main "Knit around kids and while having morning conversation with husband, just to let you know.)


Project 3. "Beauty and the Bias" Shawl from Two Old Bags, in a beautiful "natural black" (i.e. dark dark brown) alpaca, that I bought last year at Stitches. I tried this shawl last year and ripped it in frustration when I had a mistake in the lace pattern. It doesn't look like it should be that hard, and I'm ready to try again, I would really like to wear this in the spring with my jean jacket. (But that goes for any of them.)


OR, I could get started on another sweater, although I don't think I'd finish before the Olympics, but I could get a lot done so that I could pick it up and finish it in March.

Sweater option 1: Martha. I've kind of abandoned the idea of using the yarn I dyed last weekend, due to the varigation. Here's another possibility, baby yarn.


Another sweater I've been wanting to do for years, the Uptown Jacket from Jo Sharp's Village. In the brown worsted I dyed this weekend into a super-dark, almost black, purply brown.


Or then again, you could watch me spend the next three weeks untangling this dyed mess. (Koigu thrown in for scale.)


Please vote!

Leave your vote in the comments. You have a day and a half. On Thursday afternoon I have 2/3rds of the kids at school, and I will use that time to cast on a new project.

While I await your decision, I will cast on a new sock from this yarn I dyed last year:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I leave a split vote? So that if you don't like the first answer you can sway the results with the second?
I vote Martha and then Charlotte's Web.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

O NO CONTEST!!! Charlotte's Web has my vote for sure. Please please please!!!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, Emily, Emily don't tell me you can do a Charlotte by the 10th! I LOVE/Hate you if that is true! I want want want one. I have enough Koigu to make 4! So I guess I vote for that!
( so you have the yarn what is keeping you from it you ask?.....I don't do lace or at least not well or happily!)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Definitely the Charlotte's Web. Because that Koigu is gorgeous and I want to live vicariously. ;)

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what Charlotte's Web looks like,m but the yarn you've chosen is gorgeous. i have to mess things up though, because i am in love with Ene's shawl. That's the one getting my vote. Wouldn't be disapointed if you did the dark brown jacket though.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I found the web and I still like Ene's shawl in the blue better.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I'd go with Charlotte (and Martha as my second choice). Why is that sweater a dog?? I like it.

9:29 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Ene's shawl!
or Martha.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Martha. Definitely Martha. Also, you really seem to like your Bryspuns. Is it their flexibility that you like?

1:51 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I'm the anomaly - voting for Beauty and the Bias!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hmmm. I'm biased. I'm the host of the Martha Knitalong so I would have to say that. But I also want to put in the good word for Ene. I knit one last summer and it was a very fun knit. The first few rows require a lot of concentration and quiet but the rest is a very, very simple lace repeat. It went quickly and I love to wear it. I did use a larger yarn than the Alpaca Cloud though. You'll need wooden needles for that as it's slipperier than snot.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Charlotte or Ene. Thanks for the invite to the dye day - lots of fun, now what to knit with my new colors.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

I'm curious what this Charlotte's Web thing looks like. Somehow I'm guessing it doesn't say SOME PIG in the lace pattern. I don't think many knitters would want to wear it if it did. But it must be impressive based on the comments here.

I vote for the Uptown Jacket.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly's been wearing her Ene's shawl while we travel and it's wonderful! If you don't make that next, at least keep it on the list!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the Ene's shawl looks absolutely gorgeous. it is also way above my knitting skills, so i what to see it made. I am awful with knitting lacy patterns.

by the ways thanks for the note on the west loop knitting group. They are going to meet 2 blocks from my loft, how convenient is that?

8:52 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm knitting with Lorna's Lace too (Sherbet) - the colour is much more even with mine and I am very happy with it. Like all the other projects you are considering. What pattern is the lovely pink child's cardigan?

11:07 PM  
Blogger lisette said...

charlotte's web! the colours are gorgeous. and if this is a slow knitting week you must power on a fast one! hope your tendonitis gets better - it really hurts :(

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home