Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pride Goeth Before a Fall

Remember how I said I was in love with the color of Ene's Shawl?


And I’ve been doing a measly few rows each night for over a week? (torture)

Remember when I was knitting Charlotte, and I said I didn’t count the stitches in the rows, I just made sure that everything in the lace pattern lined up?



Well. Now I’ve finished the border and am on the lacey part, the part that (according to sources) is “fun” and “goes fast”. After that gigantical border, I’m almost 1/3 done with it and I love the color and I’m just dying-dying-dying to block it and see what it looks like.

And I reach the end of a row, and am two stitches off, and I examine it, and I examine it, and I can't figure out where I went wrong. I decide to count the entire number of stitches.

And then I notice that something seems kind of funny. And then I realize that it is so, so, so, very NOT FUNNY.


My lace pattern is lining up, that doesn't seem to be the problem. The problem is, there is a point in the center, the bottom point of the triangle, with 12 scallops on either side, and mine has 11 scallops on one side, and 13 on the other.

Because I know you can’t see the problem while it is scrunched on the needles, I drew you a visual aid (hey, it’s better than crying). The figure on the top would be Ene’s scarf. The figure on the bottom would be my shawl, or “Ene’s Scalene Triangle”.


All the laddering-down in the universe couldn’t fix this thing.

It’s toast.

(Jodee and Carla, I know you are laughing your a**es off right now. Wipe those smirks off your face and bring chocolate. Forget that. Bring gin.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Trope said...

Oh, hon, I'm sorry. (smothers giggles) You know, if you're ripping anyway, you could block out this "swatch" to see what it looks like. It might give you some motivation to re-start. Or would it be harder to rip if it were blocked? I don't do lace, so I'm talking through my hat.

(This is Elizabeth from the MDK thing, in case you were stumped.)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Who couldn't laugh after that wonderful diagram? Still, I am so sorry that that happened. Your VK cardigan looked great. I think the st st portions worked out perfectly as one can hardly see them, but they must make it more comfortable.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so not laughing! I am about to start adding the 3rd color in my Charlotte and really having fun but this is not a natural thing for me ...lace. I count, I add lifelines and then hesitate taking out the old lifeline...just in case! good luck!

12:35 PM  
Blogger FunkyC said...

Oh NOOOoo! Knit tragedy!

Funny diagram, though.

I say remake the 'kaluahmisu' to console yourself.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Major major bummer. Argghhhhh!
But the color IS quite lovely. ;)
Knit something else for a while--then try again.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

Wow, what a bummer. Nice diagram, though.

But your reaction - to just frog and start over?

What happened to the mad scientist with the scales? You have got to be one of the best forensic knit analysts out there. Your readers demand more!

I say: Block the thing, pin it down, and figure it out. At least make sure you understand what went wrong and where, before you rip it all down and start over.

You owe it to yourself to learn from your mistake.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Anna Lear said...

ugh... I'd definitely have to set that one aside for a long while, even before ripping... but I have a fragile ego, especially when it comes to lace.... I like what sharon_r said, though (being asymmetrically endowed myself)!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

You have my deepest sympathy. I'm keeping the faith, though - if anyone can fix it, it's you.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home