Thursday, March 02, 2006

Finished UFO

Two summers ago I made this dress for my daughter. I knit the pieces, sewed them together, and tried it on her. The top part was ill-fitting and I put it away.

After Christmas I was doing a little organizing, and I came across it.


It still fits her, except that the straps are too long. What must have seemed like overwhelming problems at the time seem minor to me now.

The bottom hem had 2 garter ridges, and that wasn't enough to keep it from curling. I tackled that first, undoing the sewing, cutting off the garter part, and knitting down several garter rows.

Here you can see the old hem on the right, the newly knit on the left:


Then I undid the shoulder seams, unraveled about an inch on each strap, bound off, re-sewed it, and added the edgings.


Hello, Spring.

Pattern: variation on the Daisy Dress designed by Zoe Mellor in Adorable Knits for Tots.
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. I've lost the ball band but I think the color was "midnight". The white is "cotton ball".
Notes: I enjoyed knitting this, I love that Cotton Fleece. I was an idiot for stashing it away for so long! (I'm lucky it still fits her.)

When I started this dress we had one girl, but now we have two. Last week I bought 2 skeins of pink Cotton Fleece to make one for her sister.

9 Comments:

Blogger FunkyC said...

Hey! I was visiting when you started that dress.

The finished version is cute, cute.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Trope said...

Oh, it's adorable! It was worth the extra finishing work, I think. Congratulations on the finally FO.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A*D*O*R*A*B*L*E

Isn't it amazing how time sometimes changes our views or perceptions on things. Glad you found the motivation to finish it and share it with us.
Simply sweet.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cute! Good thing you got it out again, and it's great that it still fits! What luck.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

That dress is so sweet! And two in matching dresses will make for great photo ops this spring. ;)

7:34 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Very very cute!! And nice job on the alterations. I especially like the edging; it really pulls the whole thing together. Kudos!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

So cute! If I were up for intarsia I'd make one myself.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh so cute!!! Nice finishing!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Anna Lear said...

CUTE -- what a great save! and you've inspired me to go ahead and try that dress for my two-year-old; I'll be sure to keep your fixes on hand....

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home