Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Hodgepodge of Quilts

I've been going through my vacation pictures, trying to put together a cohesive post without too many farm animal pictures.

It's hard. They were cute.

And I'm under orders from a friend to stop with the laundry already, and give you a post.

So here's something a little different.

--------------------------------------------

Melody has a great post today about Anna Williams and Nancy Crow. I know a lot of you read her already, but if you missed it, you must go see. It co-incided with some stuff I just came across when I was organizing. Instant post!

I am a happy owner of a small but wonderful Anna Williams quilt top. It was a birthday gift from my husband about seven or eight years ago. I bought it for him (how convenient for him!) while attending QSDS.


I originally intended to send it off to Katharine Watts to be quilted by the "country quilters" as she called them, who were used to quilting Anna's quirky (puckered) tops. But the more I think of it, the more I want to do it myself, so it will have some of myself in it.



Here's a tiny piece--just a top, not layered or quilted, that I originally intended to be a full size quilt. I think I might have some other blocks lying around. I made this, inspired by the Anna Williams quilts:


Segue into the Nancy Crow stuff:

Nancy was the one who introduced us all to Anna Williams's work, by hanging it at QSDS.
Here's a top I made in a Nancy Crow class. I was pregnant with Ethan so it was seven years ago. I sandwiched it with the batting and backing, and started a little random seed-stitch quilting, but abandoned it. I thought it might make a neat baby blanket, I'm not sure why I put it away.


Here is a slightly more recent (probably done about 4 years ago) small quilt that I made to sell at a show, again inspired by the Nancy Crow look. (Denyse Schmidt, of recent fame among young hip quilters, learned quilting from Nancy.)




In my opinion, Nancy is The Quilt Jedi. This is the book that started my quilting life, in 1991:


And here's a baby quilt I made about seven years ago. When I had a boy, this quilt looked too girlie to me. My second baby used it a little, but it's kind of big--about 50" square. I should get it out again because it looks perfect for picnics.


And lastly, thank you for all the nice comments about the totebags. You can expect more tote-bag-posts in the future. I still have the Tote Bag Fever. And I still owe one to my sister, my mom, and I have a couple more fabrics I want to make for myself. I'll have more photos and answer all your questions about how they are made.

Here's another shot of Sophie's tote bag, since it didn't show up well in the photos last week:




It's probably my favorite. I'm a sucker for all that Kaffe Fasset fabric. (It's too bad it didn't come on the trip with us. It was accidently left behind, on the dining room chair, filled with tiger, cow, and blankie.........all the essentials for a happy bedtime baby.)

Mother of the Year, you all vote for me, okay?!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE it when people listen to me! Good post.
I can't believe you are torturing us with more photos of the wonderful totes. You know some of us have April Birthdays! ( Hey if it worked with the post!) Kidding! Missed you!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

You'll never win MOTY - I have it in the bag. I love those quilts and have been Denyse Schmidt obsessed lately. I wonder if I can find one of those Nancy Crow books at the library . . .

p.s. I want to see a totebag tutorial. I can handle the tote part, just not the zipper. Help!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Deborah Boschert said...

Oh my goodness.... I have SO been there. No toy purchased in an airport can replace whatever "lovey" was left behind. Fedex is never fast enough. And even cuddling in Mom and Dad's bed doesn't quite do the trick. (And isn't good for Mom and Dad either.) You must have survived.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

THE QUILTS THE QUILTS!!!!!!
Yipes I am so in love with the one that you starting quilting!!! Give it to me and I'll finish it and you'll never see it again!!!

Can you tell I love this post?

8:12 AM  
Blogger ~~ Melissa said...

Ok, you've got my MOTY vote simply by stating that ultimate truth that Nancy Crow is the Jedi. I feel like I'm 10 months pregnant waiting for her new book to come out. (<--funny!) And I feel like I've found my home planet when other bloggers talk about her.
Lucky you to have the Anna Williams quilt top.
Do you use a pattern for your totes or just wing it?

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun, fun, FUN post!! Love the Anna Williams top and your small quilts.
The tote bags are beauties. I made lots in the past (sold many) until I eventually ODed on them. Your recent bags make me want to whip up some more. The Kaffe fabrics are always a good choice!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home