Friday, August 25, 2006

Finished Flower Basket

Here it is!

The Flower Basket Shawl.


My four year old might have a future in avant-garde photography...





Full view:


True color:


Details:
The Flower Basket Shawl designed by Evelyn A. Clark
Interweave Knits, Fall 2004
Yarn: Fingering weight wool yarn, hand dyed by me.
Change to the pattern: 15 repeats instead of 7.
Notes: I would have done one more repeat to make this shawl really huge, but I ran out of yarn. Even so, I majorly love this shawl. It is so pretty, not to mention quite toasty. Sewing a white blouse to go with it is on my to-do list. For great notes on this shawl, see Becky's site.

Amount of yarn used for 15 repeats: Approximately 825 yards.

Size before blocking: 60" wide by 30" long.
After blocking (and I did stretch the dickens out of it while blocking): 80" wide by 38" long.

One more thing: I loved knitting this. Up until the 7th or 8th repeat, I had to keep careful track of exactly where I was, and I couldn't pick it up and tell just by looking at the knitting where I was in the pattern.

But then some magic switch clicked in my brain, and it became so easy! I am serious. I was able to read the knitting and know where I was, which made it so much easier for picking up and putting down. Towards the end, I was knitting and watching TV at the same time! 24 even! I kid you not.

I loved this. Did I say that already? I am now officially addicted to lace.

Proof:

New project, the Diamond Fantasy Shawl.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how inspiring! Its stunning!
I'm nearly finished with my FBS (on the 11th repeat. I planned 14, but I know I won't have enough yarn) I'm using a light hand dyed worsted on 7s. I know its going to seriously grow once blocked so I'm not going to stress out over only getting to do 12 repeats :)
It is addicting isn't it? I dyed up some fingering yesterday so that I can cast on Wing Of The Moth shawl as soon as FBS is finished.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful! I love the yarn - great colors. Very inspiring - I have the pattern and yarn and now I think I'm going to start it.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous gorgeous. Love the colorway...sorry the socks had to make the ultimate sacrifice!

I saw a FBS at Stitches that was on a much smaller scale, but still very lovely. Gotta love such a versatile pattern.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's beautiful! The color and the knitting and everything. Great job, Emily. And I know you'll love DFS, too.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

O Em. I am totally in awe of you and your skill.
I lay down my needles at your feet.
O that one day you would lift me up to your level and bestow upon me the grace of your knowledge, gulp.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Beautiful job, Emily! Can't wait to see the Diamond Fantasy shawl.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Em, you are fantastic inspiration. the shawl is gorgeous and the new one looks like another winner.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, I so love your Flower Basket Shawl, it turned out so absolutely pretty! Fantastic work! And the Diamond Fantasy Shawl is coming along very fine too, what a great color you chose for it - looking forward to seeing it knitted up!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Susan R. said...

It's a bad and a good thing when you get hooked on lace. What a wonderful first project - and with your own yarn. Absolutely beautiful.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Laura Wasilowski said...

Wow, Em! It is beautiful! I love the scalloped edging.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Tomme said...

Emily -- The shawl is breathtaking! You blocked it so well -- I love being able to see all the little points on the edges. The fates are fighting me on my Highland Triangle Shawl -- I've ripped back and restarted the last 10 rows of the center section about a dozen times, I think. Aaack!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Lovely! The dye job is wonderful.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Anna Lear said...

What a beautiful shawl!! You did a lovely job dyeing the yarn, too. And give your little one big kudos for taking such great pictures! I love lace, too... sometimes....

4:03 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

That is one gorgeous shawl, Emily! How fabulous to dye your own yarn for it, too. I've been having a blast knitting silk into lace, and you are so right about having the pattern "click" in. That is a delicious moment. One feels like lace is the ultimate kind of knitting. It is almost as addictive as watching "24", which is my current obsession for knitting lace with also! I don't know if I watch so I can knit, or knit so I can excuse myself for watching 4 episodes in a row on DVD...LOL...

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work is absolutely stunning!

May I ask what yarn you used for the basket weave shawl and for the Diamond Fantasy Shawl?

I'm trying to choose one for the DFS.

Thanks!
-- Charli
Knittingbox@yahoo.com

2:05 AM  
Blogger YogaNan knits, too... said...

Emily, so glad to hear that you finally found your groove with this shawl. I'm on the 3rd repeat, and approaching that--but have been careful not to get too cocky--as that's when I miss a yo! As for watching TV, I'll take it on faith--right now music is as far as I can go! -Nan

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home