Monday, August 14, 2006

Weekend With the Girls

This past weekend was a really great weekend for a mother-about-to-go-crazy.

On Friday, I went to Stitches with friends Jodee and Lisa, and we met up with Carla and Lydia who were taking a class. Here we are at lunch, working on our Trekking socks for the Trek Along.

From L to R: Lydia and colorway #91, Carla with #107, Jodee with #108, and I'm working on the second sock for Dave, in browns, I think it's #90, but don't quote me. Sorry, must get organized.

We had a great time! Thanks ladies!

Last year I remember seeing a lot of ponchos, this year was definitely the year of the shawl. Shawls-freakin-everywhere. I saw one lady wearing the Flower Basket Shawl, and I accosted her and asked her the number of repeats. She said 14. Her's was a nice size, and I have now revised my goal from 16 repeats to 14 or 15.

I also saw a lady wearing the Lacy Kerchief Scarf from Interweave Knits Summer 05. At one point, I wanted to make this scarf so badly, that I bought some yarn for it. That would have been at Stitches last year, to be exact. I have now renewed my interest in that project and you might be seein' it here soon.

Here is the only picture I took of the actual show, and I know it's not great, it was just of the aisle as I leaned over from our lunch table. But it includes the "Needle Lite" sign, which is a little foreshadowing to the events later in the weekend. Those lighted needles were everywhere, and made us laugh! Who might need to knit in the dark?!?


So, here's my booty, mostly patterns, a little Koigu for a specific project I have in mind, and a few Bryspun needles in sizes I've needed. I was happy to find everything on my list.


Saturday was a trip out to Melody's, for out annual "May" birthday party. Several of us have birthdays in May, and Melody loves to throw us a little party. But we weren't able to get together in May this year, and this was the best we could do. It was wonderful.

That's Mel in the middle, and clockwise lower left: Tommy, me, Jane, Judy, Frieda, Laura, and Anne.

After a delicious lunch (thanks Dave!) with many wonderful prezzies passed around, we ended up in Melody's studio of course, where she had cleared her design wall to put up a quilt show for us.


Then it was back home to the fam, where there was a particular amount of interest shown for one of the presents, in particular. It was the lighted knitting needles! From Judy! Thanks Judy, you can see, they will get a lot of use in my house:

They are perfect for Fighting Evil in the Galaxy....


or for granting a wish...


Dave is exicted about the possibility of landing planes in the front yard....


And me?

13 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

How was knitting in the dark with them? I'd think all the quick light movement could be overwhelming.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Oh, I would love to go to Stitches!! How fun!
I'm not sure about the lighted knitting needles, though. Maybe for knitting in the car at night???

9:58 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

LOL, you could sneak them into the movies too.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

Em!!! How did you do that caption on your last dark picture????

7:12 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

The needle shots are too funny! I saw an ad for them in the latest VK, and wondered how well they'd really work (especially for knitting in the car if it gets dark).You'll probably have to hide them if you want to keep them for yourself!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Sounds like a fun weekend - and you deserve a break and getaway now and then.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Sounds like a great weekend, and I love the needles. I'm not sure they'd survive in my house though. They look like a reason to poke someone's eyes out.

8:41 AM  
Blogger FunkyC said...

Oh! I'm dyin' here! Fighting Evil in the Galaxy?!? LOL And Dave landing airplanes! What a scream.

Of course, the other pics (you and sophie) are just sweet.

I know two fabulous knitters that knit in the dark on car trips, etc...simple stuff...no lace, thankyou.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Emily, i love it. the photos are great! Maybe Dave and Steve W should get together. and your little one is the perfect fairy princess. The needle idea came from a woman in L A who wanted to knit when she went to the movies with her husband. My husband always turns off the lights when he watches tv or a movie in bed, so i always sigh and set aside my knitting, so it sounded like a good idea to me.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Laura Wasilowski said...

We'll be landing the plane soon. Have Dave direct us in on the Knit 1, Purl 2 runway.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Wow those needles might get me to actually learn to knit once and for all!!

great pictures!!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Tomme said...

Emily -- You go to the vendors with a LIST??? If you tell me you actually stick to your list, I may shoot myself.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, I saw all the Bryspun needles there and thought of you - but didn't actually see you! I did pick up a pair of short Bryspun dpns to try out.

Your post was a riot. Who knew light-up needles could have so many useful purposes?

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home