Sunday, September 10, 2006

When in Doubt, Just Show Them the Projects

Thank you--thank you--thank you for all your love and encouragment the past 10 days. It means more to me than I could ever say.

I'm sorry I let it go for so long without a post. I tried to think of a funny story, but it was a funeral, for crying out loud. I guess I could tell you about our 3 nights in the camper in my MIL's driveway, five people including one in a pack-n-play (that took up most of the camper), and a terrible thunderstorm at 3am, but I guess its going to take a little more time for that to seem funny to me.

Anyway, I spent a few days when I got home feeling kind of lost and flitting from project to project, and finally got a hold of myself and buckled down to concentrate on three of them.

Here's the progress on the Dino Quilt:

That's the final design, fused and ready to start stitching. It probably doesn't look much different from the last photo, but I did a lot of stressing over some last little details: mainly the words and the name at the bottom. Thank you for the interest in this quilt--there will be a tutorial coming.

I took it off the design wall and started stitching around each piece with a tiny satin stitch:


Here you might be able to see the stitching better, it's about 1/8 inch wide:


The deadline for Sew? I Knit! (theme: quilting) is next weekend, so I'll be working on this dino every night this week.

On the knitting front, I panicked when I realized I'd need a completely brain-dead project to work on while sitting around with relatives for four days. I wanted to use my Sophie's Toes Sock Yarn, but I was a little socked-out. So I cast on a knit-in-the-round cardigan for my girl, in a color called violets.

It's a kind of "on the fly" design, with a seedstitch border at the bottom, knit in the round, steeked into a cardigan, probably raglan decreases at the armholes, etc.

It was a little too on the fly at first (gauge, who needs it?!) because I knit about five inches when I realized it was way too wide. Four inches too wide, to be exact, and I had to start over. Well, I had a lot of knitting time on my hands so it didn't really matter.

I love the yarn and love to be doing something other than socks with it.

In the brief interludes of "thinking knitting" time that I've had, I've been chugging along on the Diamond Fantasy Shawl. It might not look very big here, but believe it or not I'm almost to the sixth out of six repeats. Getting close! I'm using Fleece Artist sock yarn, and it only takes one skein.

I would start crowing about how I'm almost done and it seems like I still have half a skein left, but I now know how much those last few repeats really eat up that yarn. So I'll try not to speak too soon. (But it really does seem like I have a lot of yarn left.)


I love the edging, its so pretty!

And the last news: I've been dyeing yarn like crazy to update the shop. There's a little more there today, and I'll have a big update at the end of the month. Thanks for your support!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I think working on our projects helps us return to normal. Or a new normal, anyway. DFS is looking terrific.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

The update in your shop is giving me heart palpitations! Loooove the fall mums colorway.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily,
my love and condolances to you and your family... keep hugging those little ones. Just reading it feels like you are snuggling them with every stitch you take. Good healing activity.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home