Tuesday, October 03, 2006

More Socktoberfest

I've been so busy with the dyeing that I haven't really given much thought to my own personal goal for Socktoberfest.

Here are some thoughts.

I could conquer Second Sock Syndrome and knit the mates to these lonely singles:

Gah! Does she really have 8 single socks? Nope, I accidently forgot one. Nine.

I could knit knee-his out of my favorite-ever colorway of Sophie's Toes; out of all the yarn I've dyed its the only one I've ever swiped for myself.


I could challenge myself to learn something new like the toe-up method a la Shannon.

I could get a jump on my Christmas knitting and make some Log Cabin Socks from Handknit Holidays.

Or, I could just dye yarn for everyone else!

________


Today Lolly asked about our sock history and here are my answers.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I tried several times to start a sock, but just couldn't get the hang of fiddly dpns. Two years ago, a dear friend gifted me with hand knit socks for my birthday.

Just looking at these makes me so happy! The world would be a better place if we all could use Koigu leftovers with such wild abandon.

I wore these when my 3rd child was born. You know: when you are unveiled for all the doctors and nurses and hospital staff and God-knows who else to see, but you're allowed to wear socks? Yah.

They are so sentimental to me and I love them. They were also so comfortable, that they propelled my desire to knit socks into a full-fledged frenzy. Conquer those dpns, I did.

I taught myself, using the Ann Norling basic sock pattern, and over time I switched to the Ann Budd book, which is pretty much the same. There is another version of the same basic sock for free here.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? Patons Kroy. They are the 4th ones in on the top row--the purple pair--in the photo below. I don't wear them much because they are the scratchiest pair I own, and I knit them too loose so they are baggy.

What would you have done differently? Started with a good yarn for my first pair, so I would enjoy wearing them, and ribbed the entire leg, as I usually do now.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? Aside from the obvious "my own hand dyed" (well, it's true or I wouldn't do it), the commercial yarns I love best are Koigu and Fleece Artist.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I knit them on bamboo dpns, and, although I'd love to learn 2 socks on 2 circs (see my problem with 2nd sock syndrome, above) I'm in such a nice rut with the dpns and I really love them.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) Knitting-wise, I like to do the flap, but look-and-fit-wise, the one short row heel that I've done looks nice and fits well too, so I really should do more of them. See "rut", above.

How many pairs have you made?

In the past two years, I have knit these pairs plus about 5 pair not pictured, because I couldn't find them or have given them away. Thirty five pair, give or take.

Close ups and details of the yarn, best I can remember (I'm not a good ball-band-saver!)

Trekking, Trekking 100, Opal Tiger


On Linie stripey, Trekking, Lorna's Laces, Fleece Artist

Patons Kroy, grey Opal handpaint, dark green Koigu, blue Koigu, pink Koigu, Lorna's Laces.


I have no idea what the blue fair-isle ones are, and I dislike this type of self-patterning sock, but sometimes I get sucked in when it looks so nice in the ball, the red are Henry's Attic Kona that I dyed myself--love these, the blue/green/purple are shorties that I made with leftover Sophie's Toes.

The denim blue and purple pairs are Knitpicks yarn that I dyed, the stripe is a Missoni discontinued (I love those), the royal blue I dyed myself and the navy and eggplant pairs are Trekking.

If you have any questions or need further details on any of these, I'll try to answer you in the comments.

SHOP UPDATE TOMORROW NIGHT!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am blown.away. Fabulous!!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love seeing all your socks! Thank you for sharing with us. Also, it's nice to know about the patterns you use.I can't wait to see your yarn tomorrow!

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all your lovely socks! I will totally knit a pair of sock for the delivery of my second baby. What a great thing to have handknitted safety socks in such a precious moment.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

My advice for Socktoberfest? Give all those lonely socks a mate. Nine pairs! Sheesh. ;-)

5:11 AM  
Blogger sher said...

About those lonely socks...don't agonize about them, just create mismatched pairs! My daughter has a friend who never wears matched socks. Neither does the friend's mother. They say life is too short to match socks. I tried it, and it's a rather liberating feeling, having mismatched socks on. It doesn't count if you wear two white socks - only if they are amazingly discordant.

Try it.

Sher

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! That's a lot of socks! Personally I'd just wear all those singles together (well, two at a time of course.) That's usually how I wear socks anyway, they never ever match.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I can't believe how many pairs you've made! Amazing!

I've never failed to make a second sock. I'm crazy that way, but if I did, I would definitely take sher's advice.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

Wow so many socks. I'd say just go for the mismatched socks and enjoy them although you seem to have enough socks without resorting to mismatched ones.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in the yarn store recently buying yarn to make my first pair of socks, the owner suggested that I work on both socks at the same time, working a section of one, the switching over and working on the second so that I would have 2 matching socks done at the same time. With all your wonderful knitting experience you've probably heard this before, but I'd still thought I'd share - oh, and I have 2 "socks" that are about 2" long!!! Then again with the gorgeous socks you have I agree the mismatched pairs would be great too.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your "3rd kid" socks! Your socks are fantastic. I met your friend Carla last week at Taos and she told me about your fabulous sock yarn. I have to go check it out now...

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whooops, I meant to write "3rd child" not "kid". I'm a bit tired today...

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home