Wednesday, January 10, 2007

All About Allison

My mom wasn't the only one who got fashionable neckwear for Christmas. The scarves were abundant. I guess that's what you get when you have a houseful of knitters.

Now, we turn our attention to my lovely and talented sister Allison.

This scarf was made for her by my knitting brother Tres*.

I have never been a big fan of the fur, but this scarf is seriously glam.

Is it because he knitted 2 rows of the plain yarn in between 2 rows of the fur, so it's not so furry? Or because the plain yarn is a slightly lighter shade of the same color, adding depth? Or because it is just so darn long and luxurious?

It is a mystery. But I like it.

And now, what I made my sis. Another project I was dying to blog about but just couldn't give away the secret.

I have to say, trying to be modest but I can't, I think is one of the best things I've ever made.
It's the Weekender Bag by Amy Butler. I got the barkcloth fabric at Reprodepot.

She just moved from the Midwest to L.A. and this carry-on sized bag is a big hint that I expect her to fly home often!!!! Get it girl--it's a HINT!

This is not a beginner sewing project. But it wasn't as hard as I expected from the buzz around the blogs. The worst thing was sewing through all those thick layers of heavy fabric, super-heavy interfacing, and piping. You know when the actual directions tell you to go slow, and be patient, that you're in for some serious sewing.

But it was oh, SO worth it. The sides and bottom are very stiff. This baby is a real suitcase. My kids couldn't believe I made a FREAKIN SUITCASE. It does make you feel like you could make anything!

And, I know I said this already about the smoke ring, but if you are disappointed that I don't have in-progress shots to blog about, be patient, because I'm going to make another one of these soon--for me.

*Most people know him as Tres. We--his sisters--call him Kenny. But his real name is Earl. I'll explain it all over a beer sometime.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag is fantastic! It came out really well. I might have to add that to my "must sew" list.
Nicely done!

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful bag! I have lingered over that fabric many times and wondered what project could take the scale of the design. Obviously, you hit it right on the nose!
Your sister really looks like your Mom, especially in that scarf shot!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lord, what a talented family. Holidays must be fun.

Your bag is beautiful and the fabric is a perfect choice for the design. Well done, all around!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always remind me why I am your biggest fan! The bag is amazing! JEALOUS! However I'm more of a Liberty or K. Fassett kinda girl!
Looking forward to the beer and name story as well!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bag is divine, I have serious tote envy.

I've just finished some short sort-of-Pomatomus socks in Sophie's Toes sock yarn, Bouquet colours. It's so lush to knit with that I couldn't bear to have leftovers and am doing a baby hat with the scraps (despite having a problem with my hands and having to wear gloves when I knit, so I just rub it against my cheek. It's so soft!)

Anyway, photo of socks on the blog if you are interested. I'm waiting for my hands to improve before I break out the State Fair and green/blue sock yarn you sent for more pairs. And all for me!

www.harridan.blog.co.nz

4:21 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

What a great bag! Great fabric choice, too. I'll bet she was thrilled.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! That is an amazing suitcase. You did a fantastic amazing great awsome job on that. wow...thats all I can say!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FABULOUS BAG!!! I felt like quite the celebrity strolling through the airport on the way home! LOVE IT!!! It will come in handy on those trips back to the Windy City!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

The bag is fantastic! You inspired me to buy the pattern this week, plus a bunch of Timtex.

10:45 AM  
Blogger SeamRippstress said...

It's a FREAKIN SUITCASE! OMg, you amaze me with your magical sewing talents. I'm inspired once again

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home