Tuesday, March 13, 2007

And That's No Yoke

Zipping along on Ariann's yoke!














Get nagging feeling that something is wrong!

Ignore it and keep zipping!














Twenty rows (fronts, back, and sleeves together: those are LONG rows) later, I decided it was time confront the nagging feeling and check my work.

It turns out that I wasn't actually decreasing. I've googled Ariann yoke decreases and re-read the knitalong posts and haven't turned up anyone else (who admitted it) who had this problem. Dozens (hundreds?) of people have knit this sweater and I seem to be the only person to mention this. So, at the risk of looking like a complete idiot, on the off chance that one other person on the planet has this problem and googles into this post, I'm going to out myself.

This lace pattern consists of sections of six stitches that pair a YO increase with a decrease. I would get to the raglan seam, and continue to do the YOs, even when there was no longer a decrease part of the pattern left. Kept increasing, no decreasing. Getting a lovely raglan seam up a yoke that went straight up instead of at an angle. As if I'm shaped like a cartoon character with square shoulders, or perhaps, as refridgerator.

So, moral of the story for the lone person on the planet that I might help: when you get to a six stitch lace section, when one of those stitches is involved in the raglan decrease, turn all six stitches into stockinette.

And now, off with her yoke!















Whenever I am ripping something with yarnovers, I frog quickly back to the last row, then carefully tink that row back onto the needle. I end with a wrong side row, because then you have actual stitches to put back onto the needles, not yarnovers, which are hard to see.














Ramen for dinner, anyone?















Up next: Dino quilt.





6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaah, you poor thing! Now it's appropriate to say that....be strong and not let this defeat you...lol.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! I am on the same part in this patter, and your post made me think how I was doing the decreases - I had the same thought when I first looked at it, but didn't continue to do the increases. Whew. Sorry that you had to frog, but the sweater is beautiful - love the color!

4:10 AM  
Blogger Janette said...

I've had the same problem and now adjusting. Wish the pattern had been a little clearer.

As we seem to be the only souls to have admitted this (as far as I can find in cyberspace), will it be off with out head?!!!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Janette said...

... opps, can we make that "off with our heads"!!!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, now I'm going to put Arianne on my list of things to knit. Love the color you choose. Thanks for the tips!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Stitchingmum said...

Well, over 2 years after you posted this entry, I've found it through googling, trying to find out why I have far too many stitches when I've nearly finished the neckline decreases!! I am strangely calm as I frog back to nearly the start of the raglan decreasing..... *sigh* live and learn.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home