Saturday, March 03, 2007

I Miss You

I miss you guys. I haven’t meant to be so absent in the blog world, but parenting has been challenging, home-ownership has been challenging, keeping everybody healthy around here has been challenging (one daughter just came down with her fourth illness since December, everyone else has been hit twice, including that special throw-up virus that’s been going around)….and “Emily time” has been pretty scarce. I write the blogs in my head as I’m driving in the car or falling asleep, but they never seem to make it down onto paper. Er, computer screen.

I mentioned earlier in the year that this was going to be so productive because for the first time in many years I had two mornings to myself. But the past two months those mornings have evaporated. Assorted kids/husband/self home sick, snow days, and a few miscellaneous emergencies.

Last week Dave and I were having our ritual morning coffee-and-chat and he knew. He knew it was the first time in several weeks that things were going smoothly and I was going to have my sacred 2.5 hours. He remarked about how excited I must be, and asked what I was going to do? (!) I hardly dared breath, for fear of the roof caving in, or somebody throwing up. But, no. The coast was clear. Really, seriously, I was going to have 2.5 hours of peace and quiet to do my projects!

I dropped off my son at elementary school and was driving the girls to preschool, sitting at a stop light and daydreaming about my projects.

All of a sudden someone knocked on my car window and I turned my head to see a scruffy man standing there. Split second reaction--I screamed. (Can we say "Girl on edge?") He motioned for me to calm down and called out (no, I didn’t roll down my window) that my rear tire was flat. I apologized for screaming and thanked him.

I drove gingerly the next few blocks to the school and unloaded the girls. I expected to see the tire low, but no, it was FLAT. Pancake flat.


My first free morning in several weeks.


Flat tire.


Pancake flat.

I went into the church (it’s a church preschool) and within minutes had both the minister offering to help me and a teacher phoning her husband to come and pump up my tire. He brought an air compressor and pumped it up enough that I could get down the street to a tire place and he even followed me in his car to make sure I got there ok.

There is a very big bright side. I was in a very good place. Downtown Geneva, within a block of a good friend’s house, a fabric store, a Starbucks, and the world’s best yarn store. My friend wasn’t home, so I had a good browse at the yarn store and within an hour I got a call that my tire was repaired. So, no projects done but at least I ended the morning in a good frame of mind and that’s really what my free mornings should be about: clearing my head from the parenting buzz, whether it involves projects or not.

And, honestly, even without my 2.5 hours, I do work steadily on creative stuff here and there and I have a small backlog of things I’d like to show and tell.

So, if you’re still reading, let me throw out a question. What do you want to see? I don’t know where to start. Please help me jump start the blog again. Tell me what you want to see!

Knitting WIPs:
Ariann
Central Park Hoodie
Belle
Chevron scarf

FOs:
Diamond Fantasy Shawl
Lace Scarf
Noro Silk Garden scarf and hat
Argosy
socks

Sewing:
Slipcovers and pillows
Christmas present for my brother (that you would never expect!)
Dino Quilt
Whole cloth quilt
Another baby quilt


I thank you in advance!


And to close, since I don't believe in having a blog entry with no photo, this would be the place where I show a photo of my cat looking cute. But I have no cat. So how about a miscellaneous photo of a quilt from my past?


Detail: Blue Colander, Emily Parson 1999.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the *scream* part. I've been doing that myself recently. Really. Sheesh.
On so many levels, this post is resonating with me. Even the *no photo* comment. I just posted without one...eeek! You need to go read it when you have a minute.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Oh you poor thing! I hope you start getting those free mornings soon.
I'd love to see your finished knitting stuff when you have time to post again.

12:48 PM  
Blogger ~ bridgette ~ said...

Slipcovers and pillows please!

I'm glad your tired was able to be repaired. My last flat tire was too shredded to be saved.

1:42 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

I've been to Wool & CO - definitely a good place to be stranded during car repairs! I'd like to see it all - especially a finished argosy!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, please show us how you did the suitcase for your sister. I went right out and ordered the pattern and would love some insight when you decide to make another one. Thanks for your inspiration!!

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the tire, but I'm glad you had a happy ending. From a totally selfish point of view, I'd love to see your progress on the Ariann. I'm finishing up the second sleeve and will soon be ready to join everything together!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

Of course I am laffing so hard at this best laid plans effort on your part. My dh puts a can of fix-a-flat in my car, which you can just attach to the thingy on the wheel and inject this stuff and it fixes the flat until your husband can be manly and take care of it.
That's what they are for, right?

And what did you buy at Wool and Co?

4:24 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

I'm right there with you on the free time evaporating thing. I supposedly get 2 hours three times a week, but even once a week has been scarce indeed this winter. I vote to see the wholecloth quilt!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I really feel guilty for not being home! Welcome back!

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't say 'poor thing' because although your day didn't work out as planned, I think you mastered it very well and appreciated the 'down time' that the flat tire gave you. Sometimes we need 2.5hrs of 'down time', especially if one has been through the mill like you have been...3 small kids sick!

I would love to see the Dino quilt, I have been waiting so long for its debút.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've missed you too! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll have a little more Emily time in March.
Let's see the Central Park Hoodie!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back and I hope you get another morning to yourself soon. Ariann and the FO's please!

8:23 PM  
Blogger lisette said...

welcome back emily! i so hear you on the lost free time - glad they could fix your tyre and that you were in such a good place to break down. ummmm i want to see ariann and the whole cloth quilt

10:03 PM  
Blogger Freja said...

Dino quilt, please! (with or without artist :))

5:13 AM  
Blogger Gale Bulkley said...

Being a more or less greedy sort of soul, I'd like to see it all!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quilts! Any and All quilts, please.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

Who knew you had a brother? That he rated a sewn christmas present? I vote to see that. I think if you count this vote with all of the votes to see 'everything' then the present clearly wins.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home