Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Ariann Finished

Hey you crazy cats, thanks for tuning in. I have been meaning to be in touch all week, I have a lot of knitting to show, and maybe even a big birthday to have, and maybe a big announcement, and possibly even a contest! So much! So lets get started off with Ariann.

I finished Ariann about a month ago, and with that weird April cold snap we had, I actually got to wear it a few times!




This is a great sweater. I added a bit to the largest size in the abdominal region. It might have been an additional repeat, perhaps just a wave of the magic wand or maybe some knitting voodoo....I was a long time ago and I forget, but whatever it was, it worked fine and it fits nicely.


The sleeves are very long on me, even though I shortened them by 1". Yes, I have very short arms and have never been able to figure out how much to shorten when it's a raglan style. My fall back method when in doubt is to shorten by 1", and in this case, it wasn't enough. On one hand it's ok, because that seems to be the current style, but on the other it's not so great when you're trying to cut syrupy pancakes for 3 kids in a restaurant and you're dragging your sleeves through the muck.


The only weird/major change I made was I left out the buttonholes. Mainly, because I was messing with the numbers so much, I was afraid that I'd reach the top of the yoke and be off on my last buttonhole. I did make a swatch and experimented with machine-sewn buttonholes put in after the fact. It worked great. I have wondered about machine sewn buttonholes for a long time, since so many ready made sweaters have them. I definitely want to explore this more.

So, I was fully intending to do the buttonholes that way, but then I found this great pin at a thrift shop, used it in a pinch because I wanted to wear the sweater (weird April cold snap) and I liked it that way so much that now I may never add the buttonholes.


I also made the collar longer. I looked at many finished Arianns around blogland and I noticed that on a lot of them, the collar looked skimpy compared to the pattern photo. I have a Rowan sweater with a big 8" collar that I love, so I did the same for this.

I would like to make this again. You might remember that I almost abandoned the Nashua Creative Focus for Cotton Ease a few months ago, and I still think this would be great in Cotton Ease. The pattern is kind of mesmerizing and its a great, wearable sweater.



Props, Bonne Marie, you are one talented designer!

6 Comments:

Blogger sweetfigs said...

Your Ariann is beautiful! The 8 inch collar is a great touch.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

What a beautiful sweater! The pin is a great idea - so much faster than sewing on a button, plus you can change it at will.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Really beautiful. You're right, that pin is such a pretty touch, why bother with buttons?

7:22 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

The sweater looks great on you! And what's this announcement? I'm waiting with bated breath.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's look great! I'm glad you got a chance to wear it before it gets too hot.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That turned out so very nice! I love the color.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home