Thursday, September 06, 2007

Whew.

Dear Teacher, the reason I've been absent is....

Last Monday was our wedding anniversary, but you might remember from last year that Dave's dad died on our anniversary so it is also the remembrance of that, one year later. I didn't expect Dave to take it very well, and he didn't. To make it worse, I had some not-so-nice thoughts about how ruined our anniversary now is. I know it's just a day, but when you've been through a lot in 15 years, it's nice (I didn't appreciate how nice it really is) to have one day set aside to think about the past and appreciate everything. Well, maybe next year.


In addition to worrying about Dave all day, our sweet old neighbor died early that morning. So, when I wasn't worrying about Dave, or having my petty anger, I spent a lot of time thinking about their family. Sad. I cooked and baked in the 90 degree heat.


Than add to the worry pile: my daughter got sick, and I had a friend hospitalized. Did I mention the bat in my attic?


Crazy.


My mom was here most of the week to help me with the kids since they aren't all in school yet (my youngest starts preschool TODAY!) and I am prepping for a big month at Sophie's Toes. I have an ad coming out in the new Fall Knitty (!) and I don't really know what to expect but I want to be prepared. I wanted to do a big update for my regular customers before the ad came out (that was Tuesday) and then re-stock the shop (that will be tonight) before the ad came out so it looked spiffy when new people stopped by. I don't know exactly when it will be published, they don't tell you what day it will come out (no, not even the advertisers!) It's a suprise, so I'm winging all this.


I think I've held my breath for about 10 days straight. But now that the regular shop update is done, I can breathe again and just watch the Knitty website (obsessively) to wait and see my ad! So, it's been: worry worry worry, dye dye dye, worry worry worry, skein skein skein. It's pretty hard for me to blog when I'm in such a state. But now, with last week behind me--things are much better.


Whew.


So, here's my measly offering in the knitting category. It actually goes along with the theme--it's just: okay. It's a very pretty sweater and the yarn is fabulous. But it was an impulse project and I kind of knew all along that it wouldn't be flattering on me. I really, really should not wear cropped sweaters. I feel like a hippo wearing clothes that got shrunk in the wash. Not a good feeling! Does not inspire confidence!


I don't really feel like making the effort to re-work it, I want to call it done and move on. So the jury is out on whether I will ever wear it, frog it, or give it away.

Pattern: Eyelet Cardigan from Blue Sky Alpacas

Yarn: Blue Sky Cotton color 617 Lotus

Other info: Size 40, 5 skeins yarn, #6 Bryspun needles, I did not change the pattern one bit.

Comments: Cute pattern, love the yarn, not flattering on me, in summary: eh.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A great big virtual HUG to you Em.

1:00 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Big huge bear [bat] hug!

1:43 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

Wow. Whew. Hope today is better. All those "firsts" after a loss really suck. It'll get better. But I don't blame you for being unhappy about it falling on your anniversary. That's hard. I hope your mil is doing ok. I watched my mil go through losing her husband about 10 years ago. It was rough. We still miss him, but time does help.

Good luck with all your dyeing and such!

ps. The sweater is pretty - sorry you don't like how it fits. : ( I'm afraid that's exactly what'll happen if I make myself a sweater.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I thought I had a crappy summer. I'm so sorry you're under so much emotional stress. Getting the kids back in school will definitely help.

Maybe you and your husband should set aside another date to celebrate. Did you celebrate your dating anniversary before you got married? My parents got married on my uncle's birthday. He died at a very young age so each year their anniversary had a very sad air to it. Find a new day. Start a new tradition.

Hugs to you.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah pat pat and a hug, never mind.

Put that sweet sweater in the shop! Maybe someone will give it a nice home, you never know until you try.
I know if you had size 8 socks in your shop I'd give them a nice home....hint hint...lol.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Wow! I hope things go more smoothly stat. I think Jessica had a great idea about starting a new tradition. Yeah for preschool - ours just began yesterday. And the sweater looks beautiful on the hanger - sorry it doesn't look the way you'd like it to.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try to find a matching top and bottom that are very close in color to the sweater.
I think you'll love it worn with them.
It's beautiful.KS

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try some options under that beautiful sweater...perhaps a white button down blouse that hangs below it...work with it...wear it...I am sure Stacey and Clinton of TLC's What NOT To Wear could make you look good in it. I have a similar "date" issue in my family and I wonder why the date is so important...when really each day should be...celebrate the father's good memories and know that he would want you to celebrate your anniversary.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Alotta.knittin said...

I can understand how you feel. My father died on my older sister's birthday. That was 47 years ago now (I was 8, she was 12, little sister was 4 and baby brother not yet born). In the 70's my mother's brother died a few days before her birthday and the funeral was on her birthday. Sometimes life just sucks.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh all the sorrows we must carry... I hope your husband cheers up in a little while. Losing a parent must be enormously hard to deal with. There no way to change the date of you FILs death...

Your cropped cardi is way too cute to frog! Whoever you give it too will absolutely LOVE it!

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom's best friend died Christmas Day, the following year my cousin died on the 26th (he was like a brother to me), the next year HIS mother (my favorite aunt) died on 12/19 and we found out when we arrived in FLA the same day, and the following year my mom died on Christmas night. I decided the preceeding 3 needed a 4th for bridge (all of them being bridge players). I can't do Christmas in Florida as that's where my mom died but I have not let all of this spoil the season. We just light white candles and place their pictures together and drink a toast to them for the season.

teri

10:58 AM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

If you decide to sell your sweater (don't frog it!) I think I would look good in that color. It would be a change from my usual black, blue and white. I'd love to buy it. I can pay by PayPal.

I am sorry about the bad day anniversary, perhaps you can find another special day to celebrate.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home