Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day and This and That

First off, a big shout out to MOM! Happy Mother's Day Mom! I love you!
I don't think I mentioned that within this last year my mom got her first computer--so now she reads my blog! That has been a really special treat for me. (Although I can no longer pull something like this.) She now "gets" how fun blogging is and what it means to me.
--------------
I got a special card today and opened it up:
I read outloud "Mommy, your ok." That's nice, I thought, albeit a little less enthusiastic than their usual Mother's Day greetings. How happy I was to be corrected: No! Mom! It says: "Mommy, you rock!" (Whew! What a difference a little translation makes!)
--------------

In some sad news, I was talking this week to a knitter-friend of mine at church, the lady that I mentioned before who lost her niece on Valentine's Day. I didn't know that her niece was also a knitter. She had 8 projects on the needles and my friend is working through them one by one to finish them. I guess this is a way to work through grief but I can't even imagine how difficult that would be. Prayers for her family would be good.
------------

And I also learned this week that UMCOR is a good agency to donate to if you wish to help people in Myanmar. 100% of your donations go to the relief effort, since all administrative costs are paid by the church. And they are one of the few agencies that already has people in place and permits to be working there now. FYI.
------------

On a completely different thread, I found myself making last minute teacher gifts before school on Friday. Clarification: these were not the big end-of-year teacher gift. That is yet to be determined. (Teacher Gift Guru Kay, please bestow on us the wisdom that is this season's best idea for teacher gift!) This was a little trinket that they were supposed to bring in for teacher appreciation week, to be contributed to a big class basket. I used some of my favorite fabric purchased at Paducah, to make tissue holders from this great tutorial.
It is especially appropriate for our 2nd grade teacher, since their class had caterpillars this month. The "theme" wasn't as pertinent for the kindergarten teacher, but I figured, who can resist the hungry caterpillar?! He is just the cutest. There is a whole line of Hungry Caterpillar fabric
(see some here and here) and I'm hoping to make a picnic quilt out of it before the end of school. (As if!)

-----------------

Speaking of kindergarten, their science project this spring was hatching chicks. My girl was so excited. She dressed up in a dress the day the eggs were delivered. Every day I got an egg report. In honor of the hatching, we made a shirt. Which led to another shirt.
And another.

Wonder-under on the fabric, iron it to the shirt. I recommend a small piece of fusible interfacing on the underside to help stabilize it. Stitch around the shape, adding details as you wish. Couldn't be easier! (Seriously--it's embarrassing that I just typed out instructions.)
-----------------

I guess that's it, sorry for the jumble. New knitting projects and FO's up this week. Today I'm giving thanks that, in someone's eyes, "I rok", and wishing you all a rocking day too. Happy Mother's Day.

p.s. I almost forgot to mention a little thing....today is my birthday! What a difference a year makes. Last year I was completely freaked! 40 is hard! 41 is nice and mellow! I'm having a wonderful mellow relaxing day today, and as soon as hit publish post, I'm going to go make myself a delicious birthday pie. Happy day to you all!



21 Comments:

Blogger *** hunzer *** said...

I love those tshirts! One of these days I will attempt to make something like that.

The friend of yours who lost her niece on Valentine's Day hit home with me...I lost my stepdaughter on Valentine's Day 2006. She's been in my dreams a lot lately and I feel her loss today. I only wish I could finish her knitting ~ something her hands touched before she passed. :( She was only 13 years old and severely disabled. Hugs to your friend!! What a special way to help with her healing process.

~ xoxo ~

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day! Happy BIRTHDAY! Those t-shirts are super cute - but not as cute as your girls!!! DAUGHTERS ROCK! ;-)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Happy Mother's Day AND Happy Birthday! I hope your pie was great.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Those T-shirts totally ROK. ;) (Seriously, that card made me LOL, b/c I read it the same way you did.)
And Happy Birthday!! Hope you got some lovely gifties and some time to yourself.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!
(It's still your birthday in L.A.)

Love,

Girl la

12:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I love the chicks in the chick shirts -- adorable!

Happy Birthday and Happy mother's day!

1:25 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Happy birthday!

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ow you Rock! Happy Happy B-day!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Happy Birthday, Emily!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Alotta.knittin said...

Happy, happy birthday!!!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Laurel said...

Happy Birthday! Happy Mother's Day! Love the shirts, and really, as a non-sewing-type, I'm glad you wrote out the directions :)

10:14 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Happy Mother's Day. Happy Birthday. Happy Family. You are, indeed, blessed.

10:32 AM  
Blogger S. said...

Happy Birthday!! I never heard of teacher gifts before (not here in germany at least). I have never, ever gotten something from my students :-( Interesting thing though...

11:49 AM  
Blogger prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

LOVE the tees! HBDay!

3:01 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

Great tshirts!!
Hope you had a wonderful bday!!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY Emily, you really do rock! Aren't your girls just gorgeous and getting tall and lanky! They grow up so quickly.
I hope your BD was wonderful.

H.B.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Amy Munson said...

The t-shirts are too cute, I may have to come up with a few monsters for my son and jazz up some of his plain t's.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Happy B'day Emily!! You share that day with my Mom....but she was born 50 years before you!

I loved the 'diaper scarves'! LOL

xo

9:22 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Happy birthday!

8:47 AM  
Blogger sweetfigs said...

You do rok, Emily! What sweet kids. You're lucky to have such a great mom too. I'll have to try your cute tshirt recipe (thanks from someone who needs all the sewing details spelled out).

8:05 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

What a great post, and here I am with no good ideas for teacher's presents, which even if I had them, would be kind of late!

How about T-SHIRTS?????Hmmmm? Those are pretty cute. Big people like t-shirts, too.

And here's the best idea somebody gave me, for now, or even better for Christmas knits: present them in a GLASS JAR. Like a cookie jar for a scarf, or a mason jar for a pair of mitts, depending on the item. You could stick in some chocolate kisses or some other festive-looking thing, and the knitting would look so great under glass, and it's not going to the landfill....

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home