Thursday, May 22, 2008

Summery Skirt

Hi guys! A lot of you know that I love to sew clothes. It was my first hobby, before quilting and before knitting. Even though I sew a lot of my clothing, I have rarely blogged about it; I just didn't think people would be interested.

But I have had more compliments on this skirt than probably any other clothing I have ever made--literally, every time I wear it, strangers say "cute skirt!" so I thought I'd share it.
It's the Barcelona skirt from Amy Butler. The fabric is Amy Butler too- from the Lotus collection. I made this skirt last summer from a fabric I bought in April 2007, but I noticed that the fabric is still available at Hancock's of Paducah, and probably other places too. (And speaking of Amy Butler--have you seen this new pattern? Cute!!)

It's just a basic a-line skirt, but the unique and fun detail is the way the skirt panels are layered and stitched, so you get a frayed edge on the outside. Here's a close up.

Today is my last day of preschool for this year! I have two hours to myself and I'm torn between sewing and planting. Then, when I pick up my preschooler I'll be saying goodbye to a wonderful teacher that all the kids have had --five years in a row. Pass the tissues.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the skirt - would look good in a blue print! ( ha Ha) Need the bag- oh my god love the bag!!!!

8:38 AM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

That is adorable, no wonder you get compliments!!
I have that same pattern sitting here, I just need to get going and sew it up.
I'd love to see anything you sew, it helps motivate me!!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute Skirt!

Last year, we did the same thing with preschool. Having 4 close in age kids, we were at the same pre school for 7 years in a row. I think I owned about half the place after paying fees all of those years, LOL. It was a big boohoo moment leaving there as the teachers were so good. Still, there are phases in our lives and this is another one that is closing for you. I feel this makes room for another wonderful phase to begin and I wish you well with that.

Michele

7:10 PM  
Blogger saphire said...

Hi,
Love the summer skirt! Where can I find her patterns? I need to make this skirt this summer. Thanks for sharing. Rosalia

1:44 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I just went on an Amy Butler pattern-buying binge and it's all your fault. (In a good way, of course!) Love the skirt! I have never been great with the sewing machine, but I am going to give it a go.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I have that pattern too but just haven't had the time to make the skirt. Oh and I love that new bag pattern.

Happy summer!

8:04 AM  
Blogger prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

I'm making this skirt right now (in AB pine coriander)! I had planned to make it for a wedding this weekend (in Geneva, IL actually) but the week and the skirt got out of hand. It was my first time with an invisible zipper and it has been an learning experience. Yours looks great! (p.s. I'm also making a Frenchy bag out of THAT AB brown fabric right now, too!)

2:53 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

That is really a nice design in the material for the skirt. Nice colors also. Eye catching!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

Soooo pretty! I love this pattern. It's a very flattering shape. I have this fabric on one of my sock project bags and it's one of my favs. Such pretty colors together!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I just made the skirt too........see it at
http://kuhlquilter.blogspot.com

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week I made the Barcelona skirt. I love mine, too. It can't be beat for comfort...and no need for a slip. That's a bonus in itself!

I made the plain A-line and have the apron cut out and waiting till I get the urge.

Your skirt looks great! You did a beautiful job, and the fabric choice is perfect.

I love your blog...just found you today, and now I'm backtracking. :)

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home