Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Drop Everything and Knit This, STAT!

Unless you have been living under a rock (and I say that in the most loving way, since I live there most of the time) you might have noticed that cowls seem to be HOT.

I had sort of noticed this cowl phenomenon, but not really paid attention. Then, the other week when my mom was here, I was showing her how to use Ravelry, and being the Diaper Lady that she is, I thought she might have an interest in cowl patterns. Well, if you search for cowl patterns on Ravelry, you come up with 20 pages for crying out loud! And many of the patterns are free!

I found this one that I like a lot. It called for sport weight, but I added one 12 stitch repeat and used some leftover sock yarn. (Being that I have a dump truck load of leftover sock yarn on hand.)


Just a couple of soccer games and a movie or two later....and you have this funny looking lumpy tubey thing. (About 9 inches long, stretched.)

Block it out (using a hair dryer, to speed up the process if you are really excited!)
Voila! Blocked measurements 8" wide by 9" high.
Just the right amount of scrunch, not too much flop. You will notice that it doesn't even match what I'm wearing, so excited was I to snap a photo and break the news of this fantastic project.


See? Excited! I predict a bevy of these in my future. Match every outfit! Give them to friends! Make it the Official Teacher Gift of 2008! I won't leave you out, Mom!
The pattern is free and don't tell me you don't have 36 gm of sock yarn in your favorite color (or you could go all mavericky and use the sport weight that the pattern calls for), so go. Bedeck thyself in cowls and be happy.
Yarn: Sophie's Toes Sock Yarn in Crimson (36 gms)
Needle: size 2 Addi Natura (I knit loosely and use 2 sizes smaller than usual)
Mods: cast on 108 instead of 96 to compensate for using fingering weight instead of sport.

15 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda Kauffman said...

Don't you love this pattern? I have it in my ravelry queue. I have become obsessed with knitting a cowl, but haven't even started one yet! It looks great!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! I have only just recently noticed the cowl craze, too. I have been thinking about making one for my bike ride to work! But I really wonder about how static-y it would make my hair when I am pulling it on and off. Any static issues with this one?

5:43 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

I love it!! I've been eyeing some of those cowls over on ravelry myslef!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how cute you are in those photos!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

But I was going to bed now...may I start one tomorrow?
(I, too, have been perusing the cowl patterns. This one looks perfect! So cute on you.)

10:21 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Oh now that is super-adorable! I love the modeled shots as much as the neckwarmer.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cowl looks great and could that be your sexy librarian sweater that you are wearing?

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I will take your advice. Love it! I have been playing with leftover sock yarn. of which I have lots!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

"go all mavericky".....I love it! Hey, isn't that the same stitch pattern as Arianne? I left her languishing on the needles last winter and this might just be the perfect project to get me back in the groove.

9:54 AM  
Blogger GinaB said...

Love this cowl! I've been perusing cowl patterns on Ravelry too but totally missed this one.
I have worsted yarn, but I'm sure I can make it work!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Thanks for the link. It looks great on you.

4:08 PM  
Blogger PatQ said...

I love the cowl! And may I say you are ahead of time because you looked very Christmasy in your picture.

5:12 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

The cowl looks great. I like how that one fits you..so many of them look really big and loose around the neck. Great job!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perfect teachers gift! They'll totally love it!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

I was literally just looking at some cowl patterns at the same time that I came over here. :) I have some handspun that I wanted to use and this is perfect! Thank you! Yours is gorgeous - fabulous colorway! :D

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home