Thursday, October 09, 2008

Yarn Con Rocks Chicago

Yarn Con totally rocked! I had so much fun. The above photo is kind of messy, but it is the only one I got of the whole room. Can you see the windows at the far right side of the photo? My booth was right under those windows, and you can kind of see Blogless Carla's head right next to the windows as she was tending my booth and I was off galavanting and taking bad photos.

Below you can see my booth in its pristine pre-customer state.

The chip-and-dip candy corn display was a huge hit!

And one more close up of the yarny goodness.

It was so fun to get out of my suburban mom world and downtown to the land of the hip. Picture the Stitches crowd, add piercings, babies in slings, some pink hair*, and a liberal sprinkling of Obama buttons (pun intended), and you've got Yarn Con. Oh, and let's not forget the handknits. Hands down, Wicked was the most popular knit I saw. (Honk if you were wearing Wicked!) And let me tell you, that sweater looks great on everybody! Must move it to the top of the queue!

It was fun to see what the stylin' knitters were wearing. I started getting delirious and addressing the handknits. A lady walks by-"Hello Central Park Hoodie!" Two gals walk into the booth--"why, hello February Lady and Wicked".

As far as the vendors, there was quite a bit of yarn, celebrities, bags, some jewelry, and other yarny accessories. You can see the whole vendor list here. I just got to do a quick once-around before the show started, and then I was so busy in my own booth, that I didn't get to really study what was going on in the rest of the room. (BTW there was one room last year--the first year--and this year it had expanded to two rooms. Next year--the world!) If I didn't vend, I would definitely drive downtown to attend. However, I will certainly apply again next year, I would love to do it again.

A huge shout out to everyone who was there! The friends and customers I got to see again or meet for the first time. Ann, Bonne Marie, Jan, Theresa, Rachel, Adrienne, Angela, Franklin, Stacey, Jen, Dee, Gretl, Linda, Judy, Laura, Laurel, and organizers Sara and Natalia. I hope I didn't forget anyone. It was such a blur, and I am still trying to sort it all out in my mind-putting the names with the faces, blogs, and etsy names.

Another big shout out and a big thank you for Blogless Carla for being my assistant. I couldn't ask for a better helper! MWAH!

p.s. If you were sad because you missed out on the Candy Corn last week, I just put the last couple of skeins in the shop.

* I fit right in! (But that's a whole other post.)


13 Comments:

Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

I was so bummed that I couldn't make it this year! I planned on it but my body refused to cooperate. Sounds like a blast though.

3:37 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

I wanted to go to Yarn Con SO BADLY!!
Next year for sure!!

5:05 PM  
Blogger FunkyC said...

Hope you sold a ton. Looked like lots of fun. I've been tagged and now you're the one!


The rules are as follows:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know your entry is up.

xo,
c.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quilts on your table. Did you make them? I like them.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Hi Emily! It was so lovely to meet you at YarnCon, and to see all your gorgeous colourways in person!

I totally agree with you re going crazy over the handknits, several people in my knitting group mentioned that they were all over the woman in the red February Lady Sweater. =)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Laura Wasilowski said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of vending! May your sales always be great and the swelling in your ankles be slight.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh fine link to my also bloggless ravelry page that I don't update! :-)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

It looks like it was a huge success! Congrats! Now you'll have to churn out more yarn to keep up with all of your demanding customers. ;)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

It was so fun meeting you Emily! I just love the yarn that I picked up from you...I just wish that I had bought MORE! I'm seeing some more Sophie's Toes in my future. :)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Hi Emily,
Are you going to be dying any "death by chocolate" for your next etsy update? I would have emailed you directly, but I'm not sure if the address I have is yours. Thanks!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Very cool display. Sounds like a lot of fun!

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your nine patch quilt - gorgeous! I totally missed the candy corn yarn - any chance that you'll do another batch soon? My favorte fall candy - by far!
PS - I did get a couple magic balls tonight and can't wait to see them!
Marsha

8:48 PM  
Blogger prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

I would've attended just to finger those gorgeous quilts, the colors are so yummy!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home