Monday, November 10, 2008

Deadline Knitting

Good morning friends! I want to thank you for such sweet comments on my February Lady. I really appreciate it when you comment! Thank you!

Ok, on to today's subject. I didn't want to be the first to bring up the subject of Christmas Knitting, but I've seen it mentioned a few times around the blogs and then I was in Trader Joes yesterday and I saw these, so I know for sure that Christmas will be here before we know it.


Every year I have high aspirations that this will be the year I make all those wonderful things to decorate my house and make it so cozy and Christmasy. One thing I have always wanted is a homemade advent calendar. I have purchased the little calendars with chocolates in the past but I want something really special. You know, like a family heirloom. No pressure.

But this year the stars aligned. NOT ONLY did I see the hat and mitten garland in the Garnet Hill catalog (photo above) and the free pattern from Classic Elite for the mini stockings within the same week and put 2 and 2 together. BUT ALSO, this light bulb moment happened during the last week in October, not December 20th. Making it all possible!

I figure, if I knit one stocking per day (each one takes about an hour, so no sweat) during the month of November, then I will be all ready for the unveiling on December 1st.

Current status: the date is November 12th, and I have 6.5 done. So I'm a little behind. But no worries, I can catch up. As you might have guessed, I am using Sophie's Toes Sock Yarn scraps. Each one takes only 6gms of yarn (I would estimate that is about 20 yards). If you are a sock knitter-you could probably find a couple of stocking's worth buried in your sofa cushions!

They are really fun to knit, and just so stinkin cute that I think I spend as much time spreading them out and admiring them......putting them all in a row and playing with the color combinations...switching them around and petting them again.....as I do knitting them!

And I have to keep my eye on them because the kids keep running off with them. I think they might fit an American Girl doll, but it's just a strange feeling.


Speaking of deadline knitting, I have a gift to give early (at Thanksgiving) and I need to knit a repeat a day in order to get it blocked and done. Recognize the pattern? It's an oldie but goodie.

A sock a day. A repeat a day. Oh, I'm going to be so disciplined.
Ok, speaking of Christmas I have one more thing. I found this book at LYS last weekend and if you have any little ones to buy for, it is completely adorable.

I just love to find books with quilting or knitting in them. This one is all about the knitting. The mommy kitty knits gifts for each of the kittens (three of them! I am a total sucker for any book where there are three animal children and I can name one for each of mine) and the kittens end up giving them away to keep the snowman warm. But she has a suprise for them in the end. So sweet!

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I've been knitting mini socks, too. The ones I made will be sent to the troops in Iraq as part of a Christmas project.

I like the idea of making socks for an advent garland, too.

9:27 AM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

I love the sock idea...like I need one more project to add to my list. :) But they are so cute! Yours look adorable.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Those little socks are awfully cute. And thanks for the book link. I'm going to get it for my granddaughter for Christmas.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a really cute garland/advent calendar idea! Using your own yarn truly makes it an heirloom. (But you know that eventually you will need to make 3 so the kids don't fight over it someday!)

11:48 AM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

That's going o be totally adorable!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger TURBOchic said...

I myself can't turn away a knitting children's book, either. But I especially loved the little note you added about the three children in books. It was sweet.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

Oh I love these colors!!! :) Gorgeous!

12:42 AM  
Blogger FunkyC said...

Oh my goodness, I want to gobble up those adorable mini-socks! I'm going to start one right now.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home