Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Advent

I can't believe I finished 25 stockings! I was originally going to do 24, but I had the idea that I would get a baby Jesus ornament for the tree for the 25th for them to open on Christmas morning. I powered through 10 during Thanksgiving, 5 on Thursday and 5 on Friday. I just had 2 to finish up last weekend which was a piece of cake.

Then, I found one more this week under the front seat of the car--don't ask! There is actually one I didn't like (I accidently knit it on different sized needles--doh!--and it sort of sticks out) so I replaced it with the straggler.

This is one of the most fun and special knitting projects I have done. I can't believe I didn't get sick of them. I might even make more and use them for ornaments on the tree. They would be especially cute as an envelope for a gift certificate, or a fancy gift topper.

I have to admit that I haven't gotten them hung up yet. I'm still working on the embroidery of the numbers on each stocking and I haven't decided exactly how and where I want to hang them. You'd think I was doing an art installation at MOMA, the amount of thought I've put into this. But even though it isn't completely finished, we've been opening one every night and loving them.

Installation shots coming soon.

14 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Congratulations on finishing them! It's such a cute idea and I bet your kids just love doing this each night.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!!! Remind me to start them in June! Are you going to do a photo shoot when they're hung?

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Congrats on finishing. Can't wait to see your installation photos!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are darling and what a good way to use and to cherish scrap sock yarn!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job! You're going to love them for years and years to come.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, they look lovely!
I too will need significantly more time to complete a set for our home - hopefully for next year!

3:13 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

Yay!!! They are so cute. I'd love to do something like this, but I'm not sure I have enough stick-to-it-ness to complete the task!!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Scrappy Raven said...

Super cute and lovely colors. I used a different pattern (Jean Greenhowe) but the same idea. Mine didn't get finished, so I hung them up with embroidered numbers to the wall, on a piece of string like they are on a clothes line. Can't wait to see yours hung up.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you got me doing them too. I have 10 done. I need 24 to make a garland for friends of mine...I do them while watching tv at night.

It's all YOUR fault.

teri

1:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You should get those little wooden clothespins they sell in the scrapbooking section, I think I saw some at Joannes.

They are really cute. You could probably start another buiness knitting American Girl socks, lol.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stockings are just adorable! I guess I should try harder to finish some of the full-size socks I have started so I can make little ones with the scraps. I have to admit I'm kind of drooling over your colors -- you are so lucky to have your beautiful Sophie's Toes to work with.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Can you hear me clapping for you?They look really good.
Vicki

5:41 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Hurray for you! What a great tradition this will be for your family. I can't wait to see the "installation"photo.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Those are so cute! What fun to find a surprise each day.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home