Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Picnic Quilt

Subject: Picnic Quilt
Quiltmaker: Emily
Stylist: Sophie

So here's the finished quilt I was telling you about. You've seen it before, here and here. (Yes, Kay, you told me that I was making a nine-patch and I didn't believe you! I forgot! Forgive me.)

The original plan was to make a king-sized quilt for our bed. But as I started laying out the several dozen/hundred-ish blocks that I needed for the king-size quilt, I realized that it wasn't turning out as I had envisioned. My color scheme was that it would be red, white, blue, and pink (very Cath Kidston) but heavier on the pastel range, with just a few more lively, brighter reds and blues for spark.

I realized that I had been making an equal amount of pastelish blocks and bright blocks and that it was going to be way brighter than I imagined. Don't get me wrong, I love the brighter range too, but it just wasn't what I envisioned for the bed quilt. However, it would be beautiful for a little picnic quilt. (I keep calling it a "picnic" quilt--it is about 65" square. I guess some people would call it a "throw". But it doesn't belong on the back of our sofa--it belongs at the park, the back of the car, the floor of the girls' room.)
So I pulled out a lot of the brighter blocks and a few of the pastel blocks, and sewed up this throw-sized top. There are still several dozen of the pastel blocks that are waiting in the basket to see some action, so the king-sized bed quilt is still on my list.
Sophie was delighted to help me stylize the photo shoot. She could play tea party all day.
Me, I like to play "what is your favorite square?"



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to see you back in "quilt mode". I've been thinking a picnic quilt or a tablecloth quilt would be fun to tackle. I'll keep watching for more quilting projects. Marken

11:16 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

O how I would love to use those tea party ceramics in a painting. It is killing me that I don't live nearby.
And to play tea party with you and the girls too!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Laura Wasilowski said...

It beautiful! And so very Emily.

10:02 AM  
Blogger donna said...

What a great idea a picnic quilt only one problem I'm missing the cute tea set and Sophie to have tea with. I still might make the quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Angie from Dear Spring Green said...

It is just beautiful! And I love the way you signed it at the bottom! That is just brilliant!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say I toldja so. (Not even sure I am the Kay who told you so.)

It's lovely and I like it better than Cath Kidston!

xoxo Kay

3:29 PM  
Anonymous KimW said...

Can you tell us anything about the fabrics you used? They are just such a perfect combination of patterns and colors!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, the blues. That's my fav square.

Gretl

2:17 PM  
Blogger Greenmare said...

oh my gosh I love this quilt!!! and the sweet tea party going on with it! Gorgeous!!!!

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home