Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Ravellenic Games

Ravellenic Games 2014.  I hemmed and hawed about finding the perfect project for the games.  At the last minute, I decided to join the event "Wip Dancing".  For any non-knitters, a wip is a work-in-progress.  And knitters tend to have them.  Especially ADD knitters like myself  (oh look!  Shiny new yarn! Let's cast on!)

For the past few years, since I've been doing more vending, my knitting activity has been restricted to making show samples.  Here and there I have cast on a new sweater, but it inevitably gets set aside when I get the idea for a new sample that I'd like to make.

So, instead of challenging myself to make a great new garment (start to finish during the Olympics) like I have done in the past, I decided to dig deep.  Deep into the closets that is.  To find as many unfinished projects as I could and dedicate these two weeks to finishing all the things.
 
Here is the tip of the iceberg, from the cabinet in my studio, I present three sweaters:



The light blue cardigan is Fairwind.  I see that I put it in Ravelry a year ago at which time I wrote:  "need to finish button band and block".  After which, I apparently stuffed it into a cabinet. 

The dark green sweater in the center is the Calligraphy Cardigan.  It stalled when I realized that I needed to rip back the body, carefully recalculate the hip shaping, and reknit. (Then add sleeves, buttonbands, etc).  After trying it on and carefully recalculating the 6 or so inches of fingering weight stockinette that I would need to rip out, I have decided to forge ahead as-is and lose weight accordingly.  Raise your hand if you've tried that method.  It always works out, right?

And the purple sweater is Que Sera.  I'm sure I started it in the spring of 2010 soon after the pattern was published in Knitty.  I have no idea why it got stalled.  I have the body finished up to the armholes and one sleeve.  I would love to wear this in the Spring!  One can never have too many purple sweaters, that's my motto.

Moving on... I moved the excavation into the closet where I found: two shawls.


Lordy, these were so old I had forgotten the names.  The knitted shawl on the left is Tuscany, and the crocheted shawl on the right is the All-Shawl.  I've always wanted a black shawl.  I've never completed a black shawl.

A bin under the cabinet revealed a hat:


This is Selbu Modern, a beautiful hat!  In my favorite color combination of bottle green and robin egg blue!  Every time I come across it in the cabinet I sigh.  I'd really love to finish this! 

And, when all the other things are finished, here's a whole bin dedicated to single socks and half-knit socks:

 
 
So, who is participating in the Ravellenic Games?  What are you working on?  Leave a link in the comments so I can go see it and wave my pom poms and cheer you on!
 

2 Comments:

Blogger Renee Anne said...

I, too, am participating in WIP Dancing. I finished up my Milo vest for Little Man and even though I made the 5T size, it fits him now (with a little room to grow). ::sigh:: Figures. I've also got the second of my Zombie ViXen fingerless mitts to complete (and do the thumb on the first one). Oh, and two pairs of socks are going right now. I didn't start anything new because I wasn't sure what to start. Oh well.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

I'm also WIP-ing along; I have a few projects I'd like to finish, including a BFF cowl and Some Hunter Hammersen socks (though those have suffered a setback because my gauge has changed, so I forsee reknitting sock #1 to end up with two the same size). Though it is very tempting to finish the socks I worked on during the last Games (the pink ones at the end)!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home